Northern pikes are one of the most desired fishes that the angler’s dream of catching. But catching these fish can be challenging because of their aggressiveness, fighter nature, and uncertain movement. Now, you can increase the effectiveness of your northern pikes fishing by using specific lures.
Traditional lures cannot let you achieve the efficiency in northern pike fishing like the lures that are well-analyzed and specific for pike fishing. So, if you are troubled with finding the particular type of lure for northern pike fishing, we got your back right there.
Today’s article is all about the Best northern pike lures. We have picked the top 5 best lures for you. Let’s get started!
For a quick view, have a look at our top picked lures and their best unique feature and how it will help you:
- 1 5 Top Northern Pike Lures Reviews
- 1.1 1. South Bend Super Spoon Assortment, 5-Pack
- 1.2 2. BOOYAH Pikee Spinner-Bait Fishing Lure for Pike and Musky, 1/2 Ounce
- 1.3 3. Facikono Lures for Bass Jig Head Soft Swimbait, 6-Pack 6 Colors Plastic Bait for Saltwater/Freshwater Fishing
- 1.4 4. thkfish Fishing Lures Trout Lures Fishing Spoons Lures for Trout Pike Bass Crappie Walleye
- 1.5 5. MIZUGIWA 8″/20cm 45g Pike Musky Dawg Fishing Soft Bait Lure Zabder Freshwater Tackle Bull Coarse Pack of 4
- 2 Buying guide for the Best northern pike lures
- 3 References
5 Top Northern Pike Lures Reviews
Now it’s time to know in detail about the lures. Let’s dive into it!
So, here is our first pick for your outstanding pike fishing experience. Metal spoons are very useful in northern pike fishing. The fishing lure package contains 5 packs consisting of two 3/8 oz., one 1/4 oz., two 1/5 oz. This means you can get several choices to meet your demands in any environment whenever you need to.
With its lightweight of 0.1 Pounds, you can handle it very well under the water. The weight makes it easier to use and provokes the pikes to bite. As pikes prefer smaller lures to bite, with the 1/4 oz and 1/5 oz lures, you can easily catch those. Also, the 3/8 oz lure can be used for catching trouts also. Besides, the color that these lures come in will attract the northern pikes in a larger amount.
Don’t worry about the color getting washed away. It is painted well to remain the same for an extended period. You won’t have to take any extra hassle to repaint it after every time you use it underwater. These spoons are just keen to catch northern pikes. In fact, not only pikes, you will be able to catch other fishes using this lure as well.
- Effective service
- Long-lasting paint
- Attracts northern pikes effectively.
- Hard to throw in the blowy wind
Colorful lures are great and effective for pike fishing. The bright colors attract pikes more than a dull color. In this case, this lure will be greatly beneficial to attract the northern pikes. Because of the vibrant and bright color, it makes pike fishing easier. As pike fishes tend to prefer heavy vegetation, this spinner is very favorable for heavy vegetation fishing. So, it increases the chance of catching a northern pike by multiple times.
The design of this spinnerbait helps to keep away the weeds. As a result, your lure won’t get stuck to the weeds, and the fishing will be less troublesome. This lure’s ability to stand up against powerful bites helps in trapping the pikes without any chance of hiding away. Moreover, it is built with 12-In. Steel Leader which makes it more sturdy and stable under the water.
The specialty of this lure is it can catch both pikes and muskies. So, you will get two benefits with a single lure, isn’t it amazing? The Silo-Tek Skirt makes it irresistible for pikes to bite with the waves and vibrations. It makes sure the efficiency in pike fishing even in slow-flowing cold water. Moreover, because of its unique quality, the blades spin very quickly in any circumstances, which makes it worth every penny.
- Keeps away the weeds
- Very functional in pike fishing
- Efficient design
- The color attracts pike fishes
- Average quality
3. Facikono Lures for Bass Jig Head Soft Swimbait, 6-Pack 6 Colors Plastic Bait for Saltwater/Freshwater Fishing
The soft plastic built body is incredible to handle underwater. Besides, it has a fishy smell that attracts the pikes and provokes them to bite it. The design of this fishing lure looks like a real fish mostly. So, the northern pikes get confused and do not delay to bite. The soft and flexible big tail moves vigorously as a real fish, which helps in the fishing.
Not only the pike fish, if you use this, but you can also catch bass, trout, perch, crappie, walleye, mandarin fish, etc. using this lure. It is very effective to use in any type of water. It comes in six different colors. Each of the colors is vibrant enough to look like a small fish to trick the northern pikes.
Moving to the built quality, it is very well-built considering the price. Also, high-quality soft plastic makes it super convenient to use underwater. The realistic swimming action makes it easy to trick the northern pikes. For extended durability, this fish is compatible under both fresh and sea-water. You will surely like the workmanship of this lure.
- Beautiful design
- Effective outcome
- Compatible in any kind of water
- Comes with a fishy smell
- Average quality
Metal fishing spoons are super effective to attract pike fishes underwater. So, you will get the effectiveness to the fullest with this lure. The aerodynamic design helps the antler to reach a longer casting distance and brings more output. Besides, it has a streamlined shape, which helps in the retrieving process. So overall, it makes the casting and retrieves very smooth to catch pikes. Also, with its superior built quality, this lure remains the same for an extended period.
Often, the fishers face the problem of line twisting when they use any lure. With this one, you won’t get the line twisting problem. Moreover, the wild and erratic action pattern makes this lure realistic, which helps to attract pike fishes effortlessly. It ensures slow retrieve, which makes the northern pikes chase over it.
Moving to the design, it gives away a mirror-like shine, which helps in attracting the pikes multiple times. The pikes feel very interested when they look at the shiny surface and think of it as an alive fish to eat. You will get extreme versatility from this fishing lure. A problem that you might face with other lures is that those do not show the most penetration with pikes. But this lure comes with a hook that ensures better penetration.
- Looks like a real fish
- Provides effective outcome
- Easy to use
- Helps the angler in far casting
- Not that sharp
5. MIZUGIWA 8″/20cm 45g Pike Musky Dawg Fishing Soft Bait Lure Zabder Freshwater Tackle Bull Coarse Pack of 4
The soft body of this bait lets you handle it underwater. This is very helpful to catch northern pikes because the soft body and material is super flexible. Besides, the slow sinking feature makes this lure more realistic, like a real fish. This feature is helpful to give the pike fish an illusion that it is a small fish to eat. The colors of this lure are very well-thought and efficacious to attract fishes.
In addition, this lure helps you to have control over the water. It is super easy to handle in any situation. Sometimes, when the lure comes in a low weight, it becomes tough to handle in windy weather. But this lure has a perfect weight that you can handle no matter how the weather is. If your target is to catch other large fishes along with pikes, you can rely on this lure entirely.
An efficient twister tail action is needed to be in the lures that you will use in order to have the most power and effectiveness. Surprisingly, this lure comes with the best twister tail action, which makes it more realistic as a small fish. The good selection of colors in this lure helps in attracting the lures. If you want to go deeper into the water in search of the pike, this lure will help you in this regard.
- Helps in further casting
- Lets any angler to reach deep water
- Comes in a perfect weight
- Well-built design
- Common colors used in it.
Buying guide for the Best northern pike lures
If you want to find the perfect Northern pike lures, you need to know exactly what to look for. There are many kinds of pike lures in the market, and finding the right one can be very difficult. But don’t worry because now we will discuss exactly what to look for before purchasing the best northern pike lures.
1. Types of lures
There are many different types of lures in the market for you to choose from. Each northern pike lure is different from others, and they are made explicitly for individual reasons. So to choose which one to buy, you need to know the difference between them and their purpose. There are five main types of pike lures in the market. Let’s learn about them:
- Spoons: This northern pike lures in one of the most common lures. It is very versatile, and it looks like a spoon sans handle. And these lures have a hook to keep the fish on the line. These are designed in a way so they can wobble very realistically in the water, and their reflective design allows them to draw attention.
- Jigs: If you are fishing in a weeded environment or in the ones where they are full of rocks or timber, then jigs are the best spikes for you. These lures work excellently in these types of environments. Moreover, these are very inexpensive, so even if you lost them you won’t suffer much. Many of them feature an attached hook, and these lures work excellent with an up and down motion.
- Plastic prey: There is a variety of plastic in the market. Once we used to use plastic worms but now there are other varieties too like crayfish, salamanders, grubs, perch and many more. Plastic prey is excellent at grabbing fish attention, but they work much better in tandem with sinkers and circle hooks.
- Spinners: This is another great choice for you if you are fishing in weeds or debris-filled areas. These are designed like a teardrop-shaped blade so that you can quickly retrieve it. When you start to retrieve it skips the surface of the water. Moreover, you can make them sink, and these lures will bounce on the bottom of the water.
- Crankbaits – if you want the pike to believe that it’s a live fish and they are chasing prey, not bait, then here comes the Crankbait. Crankbait is made in a way so when you reel them in, they make a swimming motion which grapes pikes attention. To use a crankbait, you have to cast them and reel them in. these aren’t made for you to cast them and wait for the pike to eat it like usual lures.
2. Lure colors
Lure colors are as important as their type. Lures are available in many different colors. When to use which colors totally depends on the weather. If the weather is bright, then you should choose the one which is bright and reflective. Similarly, if it’s darker outside, then you should choose darker ones. In short, you want to match the natural prey of pike as possible.
Choosing the color is important because if it’s dull, then it won’t look realistic like a fish and prey to the northern pikes. So, always choose the lure that comes in vibrant and bright colors.
3. Lure size
Lure size is very important too. It will create the illusion of tasty prey to the pikes. So what does it mean? If the lure is too small, then the pikes will ignore it. And if you use bigger prey, then it will attract bigger fish. Usually, pikes reach impressive sizes, so you want to stick to medium to large sizes in order to grab their attention.
the weight should be another significant consideration because sometimes, lures come in a deficient weight that you can’t cast in windy weather. Whereas pikes prefer to get attracted to medium weighted lures, it’s better to avoid extreme low weighted lures. Otherwise, you can use the lure in windy weather effectively.
5. Depth reaching capability
Lure depth is another important factor you need to consider. Specific northern pike lures work better in certain depths, so different lures are made to go in particular depths. So you need to know how deep the pike is likely to swim. In summer, they are likely to swim near the surface, while in winter, they are likely to swim deeper. In this case, you should choose the lure, which ensures reaching a certain depth.
We have reached the end of our suggestions on the Best northern pike lures. We have gathered a few best lures according to our personal experience. It is evident that these are the best among all other available lures on the market. So, hopefully, you can choose one according to your preference.
In case you have the choice of any special type of lure, and you can get that. But do not forget to consider the things that we have mentioned in the buying guide. Also, try to know the casting distance and retrieving speed for the lure from experts to be sure. Good luck!
Amazon.com. 2021. [online] Available at: <https://www.amazon.com/Booyah-Lures-QWQC-P-Pikee-Spinnerbait/dp/B00863YYZU> [Accessed 25 January 2021].
EC21, Global B2B Marketplace – Connecting Global Buyers with Manufacturers, Suppliers, Exporters worldwide. 2021. Thkfish Fishing Tackle Co.,Ltd – Fishing Tackle, Fishing, Lures, Baits. [online] Available at: <https://thkfish.en.ec21.com/> [Accessed 25 January 2021].
En.wikipedia.org. 2021. Northern Pike. [online] Available at: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_pike> [Accessed 25 January 2021].
Ryan, W., 2005. Northern Pike. Guilford, Conn.: Lyons Press.
South-bend.com. 2021. Calcutta Outdoors® Official Site | Calcutta Outdoors. [online] Available at: <https://www.south-bend.com/products/fishing-lures/spoons/prism-super-spoon-assort> [Accessed 25 January 2021].
Zobel, D., 2011. Fishing. Minneapolis, MN: Bellwether Media.